Top Social

My Skincare Routine - Acne, Scars + Oily Skin

Sunday 8 January 2017

Hi everyone! I hope you're all having a lovely Sunday. I've decided to do a post on my skincare routine as I get asked about how I got rid of my acne a lot. I have a feeling this will be a lengthy post, so I'd grab some snacks if I were you!

My skin is extremely sensitive and oily. I suffered from severe acne in my teenage years and I tried everything you could possibly find to treat acne but nothing worked, if anything a lot of the products I used made it worse. If you know me you’ll know that I hate going to the doctors (even when it’s not for me). My Mum had to physically drag me to the doctors (my Mum may deny these allegations lol) because at one point I was finding the acne extremely hard to deal with and painful. This is when my doctor prescribed a topical lotion for my acne. This was in the form of a roll on for your face, I don’t remember the exact name of it but if you ask your doctor, he/she will be able to help. The topical lotion played a huge part in treating my acne. After using that for a while, I started using the Dermalogica Clean Start Breakout Clearing Foam Wash, which you can purchase here and used this for years. It worked so well for so long, but I find that when you use a product for too long it kind of stops working (although I alternate between this face wash and the one I am currently using to prevent this). Below are the products I have been using for a while now and can officially say they have become a permanent fixture in my daily skincare routine (along with the Dermalogica Clean Start Wash and a few other discoveries).

Boots Botanics Mattifying Cleansing Mousse/Botanics All Bright Cleansing Foam Wash - available here
I started using this Boots Cleansing Mousse about 3 years ago. I randomly picked it up whilst shopping at Boots with my sister and haven’t stopped using it since. It hasn’t made me break out once, which is amazing. If you suffer from acne or have done in the past you’ll know how hard it is to use something new not knowing what it will do to your skin. Experimenting with products can be a little scary, but this was a risk worth taking. I take a pump of this and spread it all over my face, I then put a pump of this on my face brush and use that to exfoliate my face in small circular motions. I believe this has been discontinued but I have switched to the Botanics All Bright Cleansing Foam Wash and use it the same way I used the Cleansing Mousse. It works just as well (thank God).
L’Oreal Men Expert Black Charcoal Wash – available here
Yes I am aware that this says ‘Men Expert’ but currently there are no laws that prohibit women from using skincare products that are targeted for men lol. I can’t praise this charcoal wash enough, it is amazing! It contains charcoal which is known to have antibacterial properties and helps draw out impurities. It also helps tighten pores. I totally recommend this for anyone that has sensitive/oily skin. I use this the same way that I use the Boots Foam Wash. Occasionally I spread this all over my face and leave it on for about 5 minutes (like a mask), I do this whilst I am in the shower/bath. I feel like this gives the wash a little more time to work it's magic.
Boots Glycerin & Rosewater Toner & Moisturiser – available here
I was drawn to this product as soon as I saw Glycerin and Rosewater on the label. I have been using this toner for years and absolutely swear by it. I use this after washing my face. I pour some onto a cotton pad and swipe the pad all over my face. It moisturises and tones the skin at the same time. I also use this as a base for makeup. It contains Glycerin and Glycerin makes products stick to it and it definitely helps keep your makeup in place for longer. Just make sure you let it settle into your skin a little before applying any makeup.
Soap & Glory A Brush with Greatness – available here
This brush is so inexpensive and does the job just as well as any other face brush. I have used electric face brushes before and occasionally switch back to one every now and then, but I always end up using this one because you have more control over it in terms of movement and how much pressure you apply. One side has soft brush bristles which gently exfoliate your skin and the other side has tiny silicone bristles which give you more of a deep cleanse. 

Sudocrem Antiseptic Healing Cream - available here
This is such an incredible product, it helps with a tonne of different things including nappy rash, surface wounds, minor burns, sunburn and acne. You will most probably have this lying around the house anyway but just make sure it isn't out of date. Whenever I feel like a spot is coming up or has already become a mountain on my face I use a small blob of this and apply it directly onto the spot and leave it on overnight. It works wonders and you'll see your breakouts heal a lot faster.
La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo - available here
On the directions it says to apply this product all over the face, which you can do but I prefer to target this directly onto breakouts. As soon as I see that a breakout is healing I apply this to prevent it from darkening my skin or leaving a scar. It definitely helps to correct the appearance of blemishes and refines the texture of my skin.
Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Exfoliating Facial Pads - available here (currently half price!)
This does exactly what it says on the label. The glycolic acid retextures and resurfaces the skin, the hyaluronic acid moisturises and refreshes the skin, the blue daisy soothes and calms the skin and the witch hazel tones the skin. I use these pads straight after cleansing my face and absolutely love them. I have very little scars left on my skin from when I suffered from severe acne and these pads have definitely helped lighten them and have made my skin a lot more even.
Lancome Hydra Zen Cream - available here
This smells AMAZING! It has such a lovely smooth texture, it absorbs into the skin really fast and it's suitable for sensitive skin. I first tried this cream in a sample size because, as I said before, anything can make me break out. This however, didn't make me breakout. It makes your skin look so beautiful and radiant and it moisturises (which is helpful lol). It is my favourite moisturiser. I have unfortunately run out of the cream, hence why it isn't in the picture above (sad face) but I will definitely be repurchasing.
Loreal Pure Clay Glow Mask - available here 
Garnier Moisture Bomb Tissue Mask - available here
I use face masks once a week (on weekends) like a treat for your skin. I have been loving the Loreal Pure Clay Glow Mask and the Garnier Moisture Bomb Tissue Mask. 
The Loreal mask contains a blend of 3 different clays: Koalin, Montmorillonite and Ghassoul. All of these help absorb impurities and excess sebum, they also help eliminate imperfections. You will notice your skin look a lot more brighter immediately after using this mask. I use a flat foundation brush to apply the mask and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
The Garnier Mask is perfect for the Winter time. It's the perfect pick me up for when your skin feels a little dehydrated. I have extremely oily skin but that doesn't stop me from using moisturisers or oils on my skin because a lot of moisture is better than no moisture at all. It contains pomegranate extract, hyaluronic acid, and plant serum which help rehydrate and brighten your skin. It is a sheet mask so it is a little less messy too!
I also recently used the Superdrug Black Seaweed Peel Off Face Mask (available here). This is so inexpensive and works incredibly well. I've seen a lot of people make their own peel off masks but I just don't have the time or patience, so I was more than excited when I spotted this in Superdrug. It contains seaweed and sea buckthorn which help cleanse and detoxify the skin. It's definitely an underrated gem!
Water
Drink lots of water! I can't say this enough. Water helps flush out toxins, it also helps maintain the balance of your body fluids. Your skin contains water which functions as a protective barrier to prevent excess fluid loss. I hardly ever drank water in my teenage years instead I drank bucket loads of fizzy drink (Dr Pepper is still a favourite, but this doctor is no good for your skin), which definitely didn't help my acne. I noticed a huge difference in my skin and overall health once I started drinking water regularly throughout the day. It is so important to drink water and eat as healthy as possible because this will affect the way your skin looks.
All these products have worked so well for me. I hardly every break out and my skin is pretty much acne free and has been for years. If you have acne scarring, then exfoliating is a great way to help with that. I found that it helped massively to lighten any scars that I had. Whatever you do never pick your spots. I can’t say this enough, this is how scarring can occur and if your hands are dirty it can make your acne worse. I don’t wear makeup on a daily basis, but whenever I do, I make sure that I follow my skincare routine regardless of how lazy I feel.
Please note that what works for me may not necessarily work for everyone. Just like clothes, what fits me may not necessarily fit you, but we all try things on! This is just what works for me and therefore I am sharing with you. I used a lot of products that were recommended by others but they didn't always work for me, which is fine. It takes a lot of time and trial and error to find things that work perfectly for you, so just be patient and always do your research!
I really hope you found this post helpful. 
Yogita x
Post Comment
Post a Comment