Top Social

My Favourite Foundations

Sunday 22 January 2017

Hi guys! I hope you're all having a lovely weekend. Apologies for not posting last week, honestly I just didn't have the time to write a post and I really didn't want to write a post that I'm not really into or haven't given 100% to.

I thought I'd do a post on my favourite foundations today, along with a little review of each one and my thoughts on them in general.
For a little background information on my skin; I have very oily skin, I previously suffered from severe acne and still have some very light scars. I am pretty pale with a yellow undertone to my skin, which can be a struggle when it comes to finding the right foundation shade for me (for example with the NARS Sheer Glow Foundation I am in the shade Fiji, which is a perfect match for me).

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation - available here

This foundation is my holy grail! It doesn't matter how many foundations I use and love, I always end up going back to this one. It is my most used foundation. The coverage is buildable without it looking like a mask but I prefer the light coverage that this foundation is able to give. I generally don't like the feel of heavy foundations on my skin and to be honest I don't really think I need the extra coverage (especially after my acne cleared up a few years ago). I like my skin to look like skin even with makeup on. I prefer people to compliment the look of my skin rather than my makeup and this foundation definitely helps with that.
I have really oily skin and although this foundation has the word 'glow' on it, it isn't something that makes my skin look like a deep frying pan full of oil by the end of the day. It doesn't oxidise (atleast it doesn't on me). It genuinely gives you a radiant finish.
On their website description of the foundation it states that the foundation has skincare benefits. When you cleanse your face at the end of the day after having this on your face, it's like this foundation has done something to your skin to make it look more glowy (is that even a word) and even, now I had no idea that this foundation contained turmeric until I first used it, took it off and my skin looked amazing, so I thought I'd look it up and to my surprise (a good surprise) it did contain turmeric. Turmeric is known for it's antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It helps with acne, scarring and also reduces the production of sebum.
The shade range of this is incredible, especially for skin that has a olive/yellow undertone. NARS is a brand that I really love for their shade range.

EX1 Cosmetics Invisiwear Liquid Foundation - available here

I have no idea why I tried this foundation. I spotted it on the lookfantastic website and they always have some sort of discount code, so I thought I'd try it out. I've been using this for about a year and I really really like it. Like the NARS foundation this is also buildable. You only need a small amount, it's super blendable and it works wonders. It is very lightweight, you can't feel this on your skin at all, which I love!
Initially they only had 5 shades and I purchased the shade f200 which was a little dark for me and the shade f100 was a little too light so I mixed the two. More recently EX1 came out with a whole new bunch of shades, so in total there are now 13 shades.
I've seen this foundation being used on so many celebrities including Kim Kardashian, Britney Spears and Adele for magazine covers, photoshoots and on the red carpet, which would make you think it probably costs an arm and a leg but it's only £12.50. Yep, you heard £12.50.
I have sensitive skin so I'm very careful when using foundations. This foundation hasn't broke me out or caused any irritation.


Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation - available here

For all you lovely ladies and guys that prefer heavy coverage this is the perfect foundation for you. The coverage of this foundation is incredible! A little definitely goes a long way. I mix this with my moisturiser as I prefer a very light finish.
It stays in place and lasts all day. Although it is a full coverage foundation it isn't a foundation that feels uncomfortable on the skin or looks unnatural.
Like the NARS foundation, the shade range is huge!

Chanel Mat Lumière Foundation

I believe this foundation is discontinued *sad face*. I used to love the look of matte foundations and this one was my favourite. I never had to set it with powder and with my oily skin, that was one less thing to carry around in my handbag. I thought I'd still mention it as I love Chanel foundations in general and they smell amazing!

Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick - available here

When my acne first started clearing up I still had some very visible scars, which were very hard to cover up without my makeup looking very heavy and unnatural, which I hated. I did some research and found that a lot of people loved the Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick as it gave great coverage without looking heavy. So I thought I'd try it out and I loved it. I still use it sometimes and it looks lovely on the skin. I don't wear makeup on a daily basis but when you want something thats light on the skin and doesn't look like makeup, this is the foundation I reach for. You can apply it lightly or build it up. Bobbi Brown did update the formula of the stick foundation and I much prefer the new formula it's a lot more blendable and creamy. The old formula dried out very fast and became hard to blend, which basically meant it had to see the bottom of my bin sooner than it probably had hoped for. The new formula also has tone correcting pigments.


I use a Beauty Blender (available here) with all my foundations as it gives a light flawless base, without streaks, which I find you get with using a brush. If you haven't used a beauty blender to apply your foundation I would totally recommend it. It will change the way your makeup looks.

The Chanel and EX1 Foundations both come with pumps, this makes it easier to take the product out and it means you don't end up pouring out too much and wasting it. I believe the MAC Foundation Pump (available here) fits on both the Estée Lauder and NARS foundations and it's a total steal at £4.50 especially considering it will prevent you from pouring out too much of the product.
I have the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation and the MAC Face & Body Foundation on my list to try because I've heard and read some amazing things about them.

I really hope you guys found this post helpful!

Yogita x
Post Comment
Post a Comment